Thursday, December 23, 2004

Photo Friday: Tacky

Cafe Hon, Hampden Neighborbood, Baltimore

Canon 24-70 L @35 mm 1/500 f/5.6

Pink flamingos are beautiful birds, but as decorations they are . . .
well . . . tacky.

As I mentioned in an earlier post (Dec. 7, 2004), Hampden is
a quirky working-class Baltimore neighborhood that has
become somewhat trendy. The pink flamingo is seen frequently
as a decorative accent, sometimes but not always presented tongue
-in-cheek. Cafe Hon is a Hampden institution, and not only
displays the pink flamingo proudly, but also takes its name from
the (tacky?) tendency of many native Baltimoreans to call everybody
"Hon" (as in "Honey").


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess John Waters is just another hometown boy.

December 25, 2004 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Visual-Field said...

As a matter of fact he is.

December 25, 2004 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I love this photo! And I guess I should visit Baltimore more often. I enjoy "artsy" towns like this one.

December 28, 2004 at 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home